Great pre-or post-workout!
• 1 medium beet, peeled and chopped
• ½ cup strawberries, fresh or frozen
• 1 Tbsp cacao powder
• 1 serving Vegan (you choose) Chocolate Protein Powder
• 1 cup water
Place all ingredients into the blender in the order listed and secure lid. Blend for 30-45 seconds or until desired consistency is reached. Pour into glasses and enjoy!
Most always inflammation begins in the gut!
- Inflammation controls our lives. From the first bump on the head to chronic digestive stress inflammation is a leading indicator something is afoot.
- Inflammation is an essential part of the immune system, chronic inflammation is not. Chronic inflammation harms the body instead of healing it, as it simultaneously destroys and heals tissues that cause the immune system to overexert itself.
- It has become increasingly obvious that chronic inflammation is the main cause of many chronic illnesses. Heart disease, obesity, ADD/ADHD, dental issues, thyroid issues, migraines, diabetes, many cancers, and Alzheimer’s disease, are a few off the top of my head.
- Inflammation is recognized as redness, heat, swelling and pain. It is a natural healing response to bring nourishment and immunity to an injury or infection. When the inflammation continues and refuses to go away, it causes illness.
- Some of the things that contribute to inflammation include: stress, lack of exercise, dietary choices, genetics, exposure to toxic secondhand tobacco smoke, prescription drugs like steroids, OTC drugs like NSAID’s (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs!) and heavy metals.
- Learning how to adjust dietary choices is one of the best ways to deal with chronic inflammation. Not only is this a safe choice, food is something your body recognizes and eating the right organic, soothing, cooling, anti-inflammatory foods heals and cleanses you from the inside out.
- If you are living with chronic inflammation, digestive discomfort, bloating, arthritis and have low energy, fear not!! There is so much you can do to turn your life around and get your balance back.
- FIRST TIP IS TO STOP EATING SUGAR in all forms!!!
The Anti-Inflammatory Smoothie!
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
1 inch of fresh ginger, grated
1 inch of fresh turmeric, grated
Handful of baby spinach
Handful of watercress (or rocket/arugula)
1 small soft avocado
Big handful of flat-leaf parsley and/ or coriander
1 cup coconut water (or filtered water)
Big pinch of cayenne
Pinch of unprocessed sea salt
- Grate the roots into the blender and add the avocado and coconut water
- Blend this to form a base
- Next add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth
As with all days pay attention to what you are putting in your mouth….. this greatly impacts your health, your life and your mood!
Be well my friends and I am here to empower you on your journey of great self love!!
I have made smoothies most of my adult life and it wasn’t until this past year that I made a few changes that have had a BIG difference in my energy and concentration. First and most improved is the BlendTec blender which is the best blender I have ever had and secondly are the ingredient I incorporate from my garden.
I go out each morning and pick 3 – 4 big heirloom kale leaves and look for other dark greenery that could be used such as beet greens, broccoli leaves and sometimes lettuce although I would rather use that for my salad.
Once back in the kitchen I do a quick rinse and hold the stalk in one hand and slide my other thumb and pointer finger down the stalk to remove the greenery. When the stalk breaks I feel that means the rest of the leaf and stalk are tender enough to go in the blender. I use everything I pick and feel that each smoothie is packed full of great alive energy from those greens. I also put in a heaping teaspoon of Spirulina and another heaping teaspoon on Maca two ingredients that I had been intimidated to use, I’m still not sure why!
Then my base is a banana, frozen organic blueberries sometimes frozen strawberries and whatever else is in the fruit bowl that needs to be used. My liquid of choice is organic unsweetened almond milk and then I blend that puppy until smooth. If you need it colder add some ice, I like mine medium temp and take my vitamins with it.
The thing with smoothies that I really appreciate is that there is no waste, you ingest all the fiber of each ingredient and you get more brave as you realize this greenish thick drink tastes amazing and gives you a wonderful foundation to start your day.